Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weedeater - Jason...The Dragon




So for my first post I figured I would start with a rather new release and picked Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon, that I grabbed at their show back in March. It's been about 4 years, give or take, since Weedeater has released a new album, needless to say I was rather thrilled to see them selling this shit at their show. There's two different versions of the LP, the standard 180 gram black vinyl and the 180 gram green vinyl limited to 500. The album is a bit different from their other releases, not necessarily in a bad way, just different. It seems more thought out this time through where as the previous albums sound like a whiskey and weed induced jam session, which by the way is kick ass in my book. Listening to this from start to finish the first few songs are to the point and kick you in the teeth, the title track is at the center of the album and is a beast. After that the album goes into a minute long drum solo, two of Weedeaters slow paced southern country style jams similar to Alone off of God Luck and Good Speed. The album is still a nugget of southern sludge goodness and if you dig Weedeaters other releases then this will be a welcome addition to any sludge collection. With a total of 10 tracks clocking in at around 32 minutes, it's a solid album. As I listen to this album more it continues to grow on me, although I'm not sure if it will ever become one of my favorite releases by this band but it will stay in rotation for quite some time. Links below if you're looking to pick it up.



Southern Lord
Shirt Killer

No comments:

Post a Comment